Electronic prior authorization (ePA)
Electronic prior authorization is an electronic process established in the National Council for Prescription Drug Programs (NCPDP) SCRIPT Standard that enables patient and drug-specific PA criteria and a real-time approval for medication prior authorization.
Electronic Prior Authorization integrates directly with EHR and pharmacy software, enabling prescribers, specialty pharmacists and technicians to quickly and easily obtain prior authorizations so patients can start their medications sooner.
Electronic prior authorization (ePA) Benefits
Electronic PA using Surescripts CompletEPA within an existing EHR system provides significant benefits not only to doctors, but for all of the stakeholders involved in the process, including EHR vendors. Forward-thinking EHRs recognize that offering ePA capability to their customers presents a unique opportunity to increase efficiency for their customers while bolstering their bottom line with a service physicians want to buy. Leveraging CompletEPA within the EHR system allows vendors to:
- Easily and cost-effectively enhance the value of the EHR solution. CompletEPA addresses 70 percent of the time and inconvenience issues associated with PA. Making CompletEPA available as a part of the EHR offering automatically increases the value of the EHR to physicians.
- Increase the satisfaction and retention of an existing customer base. Fewer forms and phone calls to make with every PA, result in happier physicians.
- Provide a point of differentiation for new customer acquisition. A recent survey revealed that 28 percent of physicians would consider switching their EHR vendor in order to acquire ePA capability. In that light, offering ePA within the EHR workflow provides an opportunity for EHRs to stand out from the competition and presents an opportunity for EHRs to charge more for a service that physicians will gladly pay for.
- Integrate into the existing e-prescribing workflow. Integrating ePA functionality into the existing e-prescribing process offered by the EHR system demonstrates a commitment to a higher quality of patient care and a more efficient and cost-effective process for physicians.
- Expedite provider adoption. We offer multiple implementation options to expedite the adoption of CompletEPA, bringing EHRs online sooner by reducing the EHR development workload, and partnering with them to drive provider adoption.
- Leverage e-prescribing to proactively notify providers of medication prior authorization requirements.
- Dynamical logic delivers prior authorization questions specific to patient, plan, and medication.
- Pre-population of required patient information.
- Reduce office complexity and frustration with real-time prior authorization responses from health plans.
- Helps eliminate manual process for prior authorizations
- Solutions aids to improve medication adherence
- Decreased time to confirm authorizations
- Prescribers stays within EHR workflow
- No surprises at the pharmacy
- Reduces costs
- Saves time
ELECTRONIC PRIOR AUTHORIZATION DELIVERS REAL-TIME, ELECTRONIC PROCESSING WITHIN THE EHR WORKFLOW.
HOW IT WORKS: ELECTRONIC PRIOR AUTHORIZATION
VALUE TO EHR
IMPROVED OPERATIONAL EFFICIENCY
IMPROVES PATIENT AND PRESCRIBER SATISFACTION